Sunday, May 15, 2011

What I've Learned From Being a Mom

Today I was vacuuming oats out of my oven and the drawer under the over because Cal spilt about 6 cups of quick oats which led me to think about how the first time as a mom I had to vacuum up oats I had made the mistake of running over the oats with the vacuum instead of the using the hose.  Just so you know the beater brush on the vacuum will grind up the oats and you'll be left rolled oats and oat dust. Anyway... so this got me thinking on some of the other things I've learned from motherhood... many of which I didn't expect. So here is a list:
  • Pay for the more expensive laundry detergent... it is worth it.
  • Same with the more expensive diapers and wipes.
  • Never dress a child in the morning in an outfit that you need to be presentable at 6 pm.
  • In fact, if a child needs to be in a specific outfit or costume do not dress them in it until the last moment possible! This is true whether they are a baby or a 3rd grader... I don't have any experience beyond 3rd grade yet!
  • Baby oil removes crayon from the walls.
  • Alcohol removes marker from the walls.
  • Sometimes you just have to repaint the walls.
  • Water based latex paint can be removed from carpet (kind of).
  • I know why my mom always wore holy jeans! I never understood why she didn't just buy herself some new jeans when we got our school clothes. Or why Santa brought me a doll, books and clothes; but  my mom would only get useful gifts like vacuums and make-up... why didn't Santa bring her some new clothes so she didn't have to wear holy jeans! I get it now.
  • It takes 30 min to get ready to leave for the doctor's office, church, etc. (15 min. to get shoes on and hair re-combed. 15 min. to get kids buckled into carseats and then to make the numerous trips from the garage to the house when you realize you forgot an immunization record, or a snack, or a book, or someone took their shoes off in the 2 min. from the time you put them on to the time they got in the car and the shoes are still in the house.)
  • Oh... going back to painting walls... always put two coats of paint on a room where the kids are going to be alot because paint washes off when you wash the walls. I learned this one the hard way after I washed some walls down to the primer.
  • Vinegar... it cleans up a wide variety of things and it is safe.
  • Playdough sweeps up easily and can provide mom with a few minutes of quiet time!
  • Don't take an interrupted shower or bath for granted.
  • The control lock on front loading washers is there for a reason... use it! 
  • Don't plan on being productive after 3 pm. To think you can get anything done from 3 pm to bedtime is just setting yourself up for disappointment. If it is important... plan on doing it early in the day when kids are happier and more cooperative or after they are asleep.
  • I am reminded of Heavenly Father's love for me when at times I very strongly sense the love that He has for my little ones. And I remember... although I'm not so fresh from his presence or as sweet and innocent... I am His child too. And if He loves me 1/2 as much as I know He loves them... well, it's a lot. I remember when I was a teenager or in college and my Grandma Heslop bore her testimony in church and said that she always wondered how Heavenly Father could love everyone, but as a mother and grandmother she understands because each baby that is born in her family is loved just as much as the ones before... and just because she has a new grandchild, she doesn't love the others less. I also remember worrying when I just had Matthew how I could possibly love another child as much. And now, I know... there are no limits on how much many people you can love more than... well, anything else. 

3 comments:

Tiffini said...

Love this!! What great things to remember.

And just a tad bit jealous of your vacation, looks like you had fun.

Teresa said...

What a great post, Jill. And thanks for the crayon on walls tip. I will definitely try the baby oil.

Rachel said...

Cute post Jill! You're awesome. Miss traveling with you and Jeremy!