Saturday, March 13, 2010

Baby Secrets


My day-old child lay in my arms
With my lips against her ear
I whispered strongly, "How I wish-
I wish that you could hear;

I've a hundred wonderful things to say
(A tiny cough and a nod)
Hurry, hurry, hurry and grow
So I can tell you about God."

My day-old baby's mouth was still
And my words only tickled her ear
But a kind of light passed through her eyes
And I saw this thought appear;

"How I wish I had a voice and words;
I've a hundred things to say
Before I forget I'd tell you of God-
I left him yesterday."
-- Author Unknown

I love this poem. It is was on the wall in the NICU at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center where two of our babies have spent some scary times. Before Ashton was released one of the NICU receptionists gave me copy which I framed and has been on the wall with pictures of my kids in their blessing outfits.

My friend, Amanda Padgett, took some of the very amateur photos we took of Calvin in his blessing outfit and turned them into beautiful frame-worthy photos. There are more that I'll post later, but I wanted to get this one on... and then I wanted to share the poem too.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I love that picture. What a precious little guy. I have heard that poem before and really like it, too. It does make you wonder what they would say if they could.

Amanda said...

Beautiful poem!! How we forget that they were just with Him. And, when I lost Allison, that gave me some comfort, to know that she was whole and well in His presence, happily waiting for me.

About the pictures, you are too kind and gracious! I'll get the others done soon. I've been taken captive by an audio book. LOL