Monday, August 24, 2009

Thoughts on the First Day of School


Today is the first day of school with new teachers (Mrs. Jordan and Mrs. Worthington) and today will be Katie's first day in the cafeteria. The kids didn't seem the slightest bit nervous... just excited. I, on the other hand, felt quite emotional about the whole thing. (Don't worry, only Jeremy saw my tears this morning.) It is so bittersweet to send them to school and the first day of a new year is a reminder of how quickly they are growing up.

As I was driving home after helping them find their new classrooms and blinking back tears I pondered why I was so emotional about the whole thing. I decided it was because I was letting my precious little ones (okay, maybe they aren't SO little anymore) spend time away from me, in the care of someone who will never know them as well as I do, but who will also be responsible for teaching them what they need to learn this year. They will have all sorts of new experiences, they will have to figure out social relationships and dynamics and I won't be there to guide them. I thought, "Wow, what a responsibility to be a teacher. What trust parents put it in them."

Then, as I was turning the corner by our house the Spirit taught me... that is how Heavenly Father must feel about this new little one he is sending to us in a few months (and all our children for that matter). He has to be temporarily seperated from His precious child and put him in the care of people who love him, but will never know him as well as He does. He has to watch as his child tries to figure out relationships and has new experiences and tests and trials. All He can hope is that we teach him the things that he is supposed to learn in this life. And I was reminded... what a responsibility to be a parent. What trust God puts in us!

So... those are some thoughts I had on the first day of school.

4 comments:

JENNY said...

I totally understand how you are feeling! I'm scared for Maddie to go to school, because I can't guide (control) her. I just have to hope that we taught her everything she needs to know to make good choices. And trust that her teacher will keep my baby safe.

Cashelle said...

That was very well put. It made me cry...again. On the way to school this morning the song "Don't Blink" was on the radio, and on the way home, "You're Gonna Miss This" was on. Whoever was in charge at the radio station wasn't very mommy friendly this morning!

Amanda said...

Seems like yesterday that you posted their first day of school pictures last year. Where did the time go?

Your kids are so adorable!

JoDee :*) said...

Oh!! I am so glad you can put my thoughts in such beautiful words. You must be a mind reader!

It's amazing that extra little spiritual umpf that comes when you are pregnant (at least for me.)

:)