Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bed Time Without Daddy

Why do my children listen to Jeremy so much better than they do to me? Tonight I angrily sent them to bed before scriptures were read, chores were fully completed and piano was adequately practiced because a fight over who was practicing first ended up in Matthew having a bloody nose. (They both wanted to practice right then.)

Katie knows she is trouble for the bloody nose and having done very little on her chores. I sprayed "Monster Spray" under Will's bed to scare away the monsters and have threatened Ashton with being grounded tomorrow.

And yet, Will just said, "I don't believe in Monster Spray. Now there are monsters AND crocodiles under my bed." He and Ashton are currently reading tractor books in the hall. And I can hear Katie in her room reading instead of sleeping.

Thankfully, Matthew, "the obedient child" as he calls himself, practiced, worked and is asleep.

Okay... update... Ashton is on the stairs hiding and Will is sitting in my bed saying, "Mom, I'm going to color with you tonight!" Now, he is DELIGHTED because he just drew an excellent circle. "That is cool! Mom!" By the way, while I am typing this Ashton has joined the coloring party. And Katie is telling me I never have time for them because we didn't read scriptures or Nancy Drew tonight.
But I guarantee that if Jeremy were home tonight all four kids would be sound asleep by now. And they would have practiced their piano, finished their work, and received spiritual nourishment and we would have read Nancy Drew. Also, there would not be a trail of blood from my living room to the kids' bathroom or blood drips all over the toilet, floor, and vanity. There would be a lot less contention around here.
p.s. Ashton just said, "I've got to tell you something weird about me. I don't fall asleep at night. I sleep in the morning." This from our little alarm clock.

6 comments:

Cashelle said...

Yeah. Totally know how you feel. Sometimes I wonder why we wanted so many! They are great, but SO much work-physically, spiritually, and emotionally!

Tiffini said...

I'm sorry as frustrating as that was for you it was a little funny. Your kids crack me up!! If it makes it any better we were having a rough night over here too and Hailey's daddy was out of the picture as well. It's always a comfort to me to know I'm not the only one experiencing all that. I can only imagine with 4 kids. Good luck!

JoDee :*) said...

WOOSH! Now that the night's over, I hope you survived. We sure do miss our Dad when he is away too!! We are having a hard time with someone home to "tease" everyone...all the time....Hope we all survive the week! :)

Darren and Jody said...

Hi Jill,

You kids are funny! I know how you feel.

Luv me

Charity said...

I saw your facebook post on this and I thought of how as a kid I just wanted to prolong the time I spent with my mom. I didn't necessarily think then that it was because she was such a wonderful person that added so much to my life, but I just liked it when she was around. So I could be doing something, but I liked to have her around. I'm sure I liked having my dad around too, but it wasn't the same as mom who was the person at home, you know. So maybe sometimes you can comfort yourself in knowing they will remember loving being with you. :)

Rachel Jessop said...

Way too funny. I laughed my head off!!! Your kids are so darn cute!