Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween


Halloween, one of Matthew's favorite days of the year, was a success this year. For the first time in several years, no one was sick, hurt or on oxygen.

Matthew said he was sick of being a superhero and decided to be a wizard this year. Of course, before Halloween was over he asked if he could be Iron Man next year.

Kathryn chose a "little devil" costume. There has definitely been a time or two this week when I thought that was a pretty accurate outfit. Of course, there have also been times when I thought an angel costume would be more appropriate. :-)

A month or so ago, Ashton declared that he was going to be a troll for Halloween and even went so far as to ask my mom to make him a costume. Then when we went costume shopping, he picked out a really cute vampire costume. On the way home from the store he said, "Mom, let's take this vampire costume back. I'm going to be a troll and Grandma's making me a troll costume." Over the next couple of weeks, we tried to talk him into being a vampire, but it didn't work and my mom ended making him this cute troll costume a day or two before Halloween. Thanks Grandma!

Will was a dinosaur. After I got him dressed in his costume I held him up to the mirror to see what he thought. He got wide eyes turned to me and said, "I scare me!!"

We enjoyed watching the kids march down Main Street in the Halloween parade and had a lot of fun at the Chili and breadstick cook-off/ trunk or treating at the church.

I think I have about two creative ideas per year and one of my alloted creative inspirations happened while the kids and I were getting ready to decorate the trunk for trunk or treating. Jeremy had a great idea of having Katie make ghosts out of tissues and we could hang those from the open hood of our van. But while we were taking stuff out of the trunk (still there after a booth last week) I saw some Navy blue plastic table clothes, remembered a black cat Katie had made in kindergarten and the inspiration flowed. I think the end result (below) was pretty darn cute (especially for me.)

No comments: