Thursday, February 19, 2009

Venting... Warning: It's Political.

This morning I followed a link from a friend's facebook page to a Conservative Politics blog. There was an article posted there on titled "Building a Conservatism that Can Win Again." Being something of a political junkie, I was intrigued, but what I read was SO offensive to me (I am not even posting the link because I don't want to be responsible for people reading it) that I have to vent. And this is my blog so I can.

Anyway, it talked about how the best two Republican 2012 Presidential candidates are Gov. Jon Huntsman and former-Gov. Mitt Romney... both members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). He outlined the reasons why he thought they were the best candidates and it was really interesting. Side note: Even though I am not a registered Republican, Romney was my first choice for President last year (as people who have been reading my blog that long know), because the two most important issues to me were the economy and health care and I LOVE his record on those two issues.

Anyway, this article went on to stay that it is unfortunate because a significant number of people in America (and especially conservatives) will never vote for a Mormon. No big surprise. We saw that in 2008. Then the author got into the reasons why people won't and here is where it turned ugly. The article reported half-truths and down-right lies about deceased church leaders, church doctrine and church membership in general. Seriously, about 1/2 the article was filled with this stuff. I can't believe people really think/believe that. It was so eye-opening. I thought that America was past that.

Anyway... I hope by posting this I don't offend any friends/blog readers of faiths different than mine. I just had to vent my shock and outrage at the way my beliefs (and in large part who I am) are seen and have been represented. I thought people saw me as a normal person. Sigh....

No comments: